Friday 25 July 2014

My Perfect Day Alone: Reykjavik

 
This is as close to perfection as its gets. I know this because I did not once feel lonely or bored - a massive feat in an insecure life. The exact date escapes me, but it was in September 2010. My first full day in Reykjavik. I woke up in my B&B room that was cosy in the eaves of the building and had Icelandic Ceefax for a retro wake-up. Ate my complimentary breakfast, which was delicious. I took some glorious photos of the rocket-shaped church on my B&B's doorstep. 

I wandered up and down the length and breadth of this tiny city, loving the bleached wood houses and shops. The beautiful, often hilarious murals proving that art on buildings doesn't have to be political to have merit. One wall was dedicated to "Free Stof!" - where locals and tourists alike had left belongings they no longer wanted that anyone could take to their good home. At the bottom of the hill, Reykjavik is not flat, yet not Haworth gradients either, the expanse of water was glass smooth and so beautiful, it made you want to be quiet, so you could soak it in more. A delicate bronze viking-esque boat sculpture nearby. The weather was eczema perfect - cold, but not face-achingly so. 

Next to the pavement on the coast would be lumps of volcanic rock that anyone could pick up and marvel at. I walked past the Hotel Borg and literally laughed out loud! Next to take in the solemn grandeur of the cemetery. As I crossed over the road to go in, a black and white cat went in ahead. I followed it round the cemetery, paying attention to its route - it seemed to have favourite graves and that tickled me. I left it soaking up the cool sun rays on its favourite branch on a tree in the middle of the cemetery. I booked some excursions for the following day, happy with the price and happy to have new adventures to look forward to when the sun rose again.


Kelly Etherington.

No comments:

Post a Comment